Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Chinese Honey Chicken...Paleo Style

I was having a severe craving for some Asian food...soy, teriyaki, anything! I found this recipe for honey chicken and was excited until I read "cornstarch", "flour", "rice vinegar"...none of which are paleo!! I'm often hesitant to take non-paleo recipes and attempt to make them paleo, mainly because I hate when I screw up dinner, but also because certain paleo ingredients (cough, cough, almond flour, cough, coconut flour!) are expensive and I hate to waste!! I'm also fairly new to the paleo world, so I usually just take a paleo recipe and change up some things here and there.
I am so glad I attempted this recipe because it was awesome. And by awesome, I mean AWESOME!!

So, here goes!
What you need:
  • 1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1” chunks)
  • Coconut/Olive/Macadamia Oil (for deep frying) 
Batter:
  • 1 tablespoon coconut flour
  • ¼ cup almond flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ cup water
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg white (equivalent to 2 tablespoons egg white)
Sauce: 
  • 1 ½ tablespoons oil
  • 3 tablespoons garlic (minced)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 6 tablespoons honey
  • 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • ½ cup water
  • 2 teaspoons coconut flour
What you do: 
1. In a large bowl, mix all batter ingredients together until smooth. Add chicken and cover with plastic wrap or foil for 30 minutes. 
2. Heat a deep fryer to 350 degrees OR fill your pot of choice with a moderate amount of oil (olive, macadamia, coconut)...enough to cover the chicken. Fry chicken in small batches so as not to significantly lower the temperature of the oil. I used a pot on the stove and it took about 5 minutes per batch to fry. Using a deep fryer, allow to cook for about 2 minutes. For more info on deep frying without a deep fryer, check out this website
3. To make the sauce, heat olive oil in a wok, or similar saucepan. Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Add salt, honey, vinegar, and water. Add 2 teaspoons of coconut flour to thicken. Simmer for 2 minutes.  You can add more or less honey to achieve thicker or thinner sauce.
4. Coat your chicken with the sauce by pouring it over, or (which is what I did) toss the chicken in the wok and stir! 


Seriously...SO GOOD!


*NOTES about the recipe: when you deep fry the chicken, some of the batter will flake off. I have noticed that this happens when cooking with almond and coconut flour. It doesn't "stick" to the food as well as regular flour does. I just scooped the excess batter out with a slotted spoon and put in the saucepan for flavor! 
Keeping a food journal? You'll be pleasantly surprised at these facts: Paleo Honey Chicken

1 comment: