Saturday, February 18, 2012

Paleo Pancakes/Belgian Waffles

One of the things I missed most when I first went Paleo was pancakes! My husband and I would have pancakes, waffles, or french toast every weekend. He would cook and I think that's why I loved it so much!! We went several months on the paleo diet before I found this fantastic recipe! The original Silver Dollar Pancake recipe calls for less honey. I added an extra tablespoon and found that the pancakes are more moist and less dense :) 
What you need:

  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 3 tablespoons agave nectar, real maple syrup, or honey (the nutrition facts below are figured with honey)
  • 1 ½ cups almond flour
  • ¼ teaspoon sea salt
  • ¼ teaspoon baking soda
  • olive oil or coconut oil for cooking



What you do:   
1. In a large bowl whisk together eggs, water, vanilla, and honey.
2. Add almond flour, salt and baking soda and mix until thoroughly until combined 
3. Heat olive/coconut oil on skillet over medium low to medium heat or on a griddle at 250 degrees
4. Scoop 1 heaping tablespoon of batter at a time onto the skillet/griddle
5. I let pancakes cook for a couple of minutes on each side. Bubbles do not form with almond flour. I usually check one pancake and if it looks good, I flip the rest. If not, I wait another minute. :)
6. Remove from heat to a plate
7. Repeat process with remaining batter, add more oil to skillet as needed











 You can use the same batter in a waffle maker and make Belgian waffles:




Yields 16 pancakes or 4 Belgian waffles









Keeping a food journal? Paleo Pancakes or Paleo Belgian Waffles

No comments:

Post a Comment